On Thursday, the U.S. House of Representatives will vote on Speaker Paul Ryan’s Affordable Care Act (ACA) repeal bill, the American Health Care Act (AHCA). This bill will:
- Radically restructure Medicaid, stripping health care away from Wisconsin’s children, families, and other vulnerable communities that need it most.
- Make insurance coverage in the health insurance marketplace unaffordable for low-income.
Here’s what you need to know about the AHCA:
- The bill cuts $880 billion of federal funding for Medicaid over the next ten years – a 25% cut to the federal Medicaid budget.
- Both the Medicaid cuts and changes to the insurance market will increase the number of uninsured Americans to 21 million by 2020 and 24 million by 2026, according to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO).
- The bill does nothing to decrease health care costs. In fact, the CBO predicts it will drive premiums up 15-20% and reduce aid to those who need help affording insurance.
- Children make up the largest group of Medicaid beneficiaries in Wisconsin, so this bill will undoubtedly harm kids, their families, and those who provide their care, such as schools, hospitals, and pediatricians.
What you can do to defend our health care:
1. CALL your Representative at 1-202-224-3121 and tell them to vote NO on the AHCA. (Press 2 to be connected to the House of Representatives and enter your zip code to reach your Representative). You can use the talking points above or the script below when you call.
Hi, my name is [your name], and I am a constituent from [your city, zip code]. I am calling to tell [your Representative’s name] that they need to take a stand against the American Health Care Act, which will leave 24 million more children, families, and vulnerable communities without health care by 2026. The bill will increase health care costs over time and lead to less people getting coverage, so I think it’s irresponsible and unacceptable. Please tell [your Representative] to vote NO on the American Health Care Act tomorrow. Thank you for your time.
2. TWEET at your Representative and get your friends to retweet and favorite your tweet. Find your Congressman’s Twitter handle here.
.@YourRep’sHandle vote NO on #AHCA! It will leave 24 million more uninsured & raise health care costs, hurting kids & families #ProtectOurCare
STOP this catastrophic bill by sharing this action alert with everyone you know!